Under direct supervision regularly and customarily performs work in substations involving testing, maintenance and repair of all types of equipment used in the distribution, regulation, switching and transformation of electrical energy. Also performs the construction, installation and wiring of all substation equipment. This includes such work as the following illustrative duties, together with other related and incidental work:
1. Assists in installing all relays and protective equipment, including supervisory or carrier current relay equipment, all control circuits, control equipment, power circuit breakers, voltage regulators, transformers, reclosers, switches, capacitors, lightning arresters, batteries, battery chargers and other related equipment, either dead or energized, owned or serviced by the Company.
2. Performs or assists in performance of: checking, setting, maintaining, testing, adjusting, and repairing power circuit breakers, voltage regulators, transformers, reclosers, switches, capacitors, lightning arresters, and other related equipment. This includes testing, filtering and replacing of insulating oil, painting, piping work, incidental construction, and other construction and electrical work associated with the structures, bus, conductors, and foundations.
3. Performs or assists in performance of: assembling, erecting, installing, inspecting and maintaining substation structures, bus, conductors, switches, foundations, and associated equipment required in substation areas. This includes conduit work, excavating, concrete and concrete form work, assisting in incidental cutting and welding and work of an allied nature.
4. Assists in the operation of complex equipment necessary to obtain data to analyze, to identify, locate and repair all types of underground cables and cable faults.
5. Renders assistance to other Company departments in general problems dealing with the devices stated in Items 1, 2 and 3.
6. Assists in interpreting all electrical and related diagrams and schematics. Assists in the preparation of field schematic, wiring and physical diagrams as required.
7. Assists in the installation of substation metering equipment.
8. May render assistance to contractors or customers in the testing and maintenance of privately owned electrical equipment.
9. Directs the work of and instructs others assigned to assist him.
10. Performs or assists in performance of: repairing, painting and maintaining street lighting system apparatus, cables and conduits.
11. Assists Engineers in making studies and calculations, and may make simple calculations and studies as directed.
12. Performs necessary clerical work incidental to the job.
13. Operates automotive equipment.
In addition to the above and other related work of similar grade, a Substation Technician will be assigned to any other work of equal or lesser skill within the capabilities of the individual, to meet emergencies or other operating needs.
This position is a NERC Regulated position. As such, a background check will be conducted on the incumbent every seven years. Additionally, the incumbent will be required to complete annual NERC compliance training.
Experience demonstrating skill using basic math skills (such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, division).
Experience demonstrating skill following policies and procedures (e.g., Company policies) in order to perform work tasks.
Ability and willingness to work extended hours, overtime, weekends, and holidays as required.
Ability and willingness to read and comprehend Company material and complete written reports accurately.
Ability and willingness to communicate clearly with other employees, face to face and over the radio.
Ability and willingness to participate in substation modules and computer based (CBT) refresher training.
Ability and willingness to perform both indoor and outdoor tasks for extended periods of time (for example, lifting up to 50 pounds, climbing ladders and scaffolding, bending, twisting, kneeling, crawling, pulling/pushing, standing, walking, and squatting).
Ability and willingness to work in a variety of work environments including: all weather conditions, around energized electrical substation equipment, at extreme heights (above 30 feet), in confined spaces or enclosed vessels, in dark areas or areas with limited lighting, and in foul water, mud, dust, noxious fumes, noisy, and dirty environments with proper Personal Protective Equipment (PPE).
Ability and willingness to perform a Second Role in accordance with PH's Emergency Preparedness Guidelines for all employees
Ability and willingness to adhere to federal, state, local and Company safety rules and regulations and to wear and use safety equipment as required.
Ability and willingness to wear an issued uniform.
Ability and willingness to travel to various Company locations and job sites.
If 21 years of age or older - Must possess an interstate CDL and a medical card OR the ability to obtain each within six months of hire date OR if 19 or 20 years of age - Must possess an intrastate CDL and a medical card OR the ability to obtain each within six months of hire date. Must pass qualification tests.
Must pass Qualification Tests.
Must possess valid driver’s license.
Must successfully pass a Criminal History Background Check which consists of a 7-year criminal records check for felony convictions
Must successfully pass a Medical Screening to include a Drug Test
Experience demonstrating skill working as a member of a crew to perform tasks associated with the operation, maintenance, testing, troubleshooting and repair of various equipment.
Experience demonstrating knowledge in the fundamentals of electricity.
Experience demonstrating skill using hand tools to repair, troubleshoot, and maintain equipment.
Experience demonstrating skill assisting in maintaining and repairing mechanical equipment.
Experience demonstrating skill using personal computers to perform various tasks.
Experience performing administrative/paperwork tasks.
Experience demonstrating skill assisting with high voltage switching (e.g., open/close/disconnect) and grounding.