COMPANY SUMMARY: A third generation family-owned business, Shapiro & Duncan has been serving customers in DC, Maryland and Virginia since 1976. The company is known for their award-winning company culture and complex commercial, government and institutional design-build projects that require first-rate performance, work quality and customer service. We specialize in full service mechanical solutions which include engineering, coordination, prefabrication assembly, construction, service and maintenance.
REPORTS TO: SR Project Manager (Special Projects Department)
JOB SUMMARY: The Special Projects Project Manager shall perform all management duties to successfully complete the various types of projects performed by the Special Projects Team. This includes coordinating Shapiro & Duncan field forces, pre-fabrication team, coordinating subcontractors and handling major equipment purchases. The nature of these projects requires precise timing and a full understanding by all parties involved in order to be successful. The Special Projects Project Manager must be a good communicator, must have a sound understanding of the workflow and possess a strong technical comprehension of the work.
- Minimum of 10 years in the HVAC trade with at least 2 years in a managerial role.
- High school diploma or equivalent. Associate’s or Bachelor’s degree in related field, including engineering, construction management, or business administration preferred.
- Advanced training in design and installation of HVAC systems desired.
- Strong knowledge of MS office suites as well as scheduling software.
- Must communicate effectively in English (aural, verbal, and written).
- Strong knowledge of related building codes.
- Availability for weekend work and/or evening/night work (as needed).
- A valid driver’s license and the ability to travel to job sites in the Washington, DC metropolitan area.
- Ability to read CADD/Design Drawings/Blue Prints.
- Able to sit or stand for long periods of time.
- Able to be exposed to dust and other airborne particulates, heat, cold, noise, and or heights on an occasional basis.
- Visit job sites and perform initial survey; lead project kick-off meetings and progress meetings (provide agendas to the same if we are the prime contractor).
- Meet with subs at job site to explain what needs to be quoted or performed.
- Schedule the work with customers and coordinate work force.
- Review work with the project foreman on a daily basis.
- Review daily reports for accuracy and completeness.
- Communicate verbally and in writing to initiate, respond to or document project issues and events.
- Work closely with design engineer on in-house design build projects.
- Inspect finished work for quality and final presentation; prepare a punch list if necessary and applicable.
- Follow up with customer during and after the job. Make sure customer is satisfied with the work that was performed.
- Partner with field leaders and Safety Department to ensure a safe work environment, prevent accidents, and reduce safety and security concerns.
- Provide feedback on the performance of field forces and support staff.
Project Accounting and Administration:
- Perform project start up tasks; including reviewing and understanding contract, modifying and preparing for ratification if necessary, writing subcontract agreements, purchasing major equipment, submitting product data, writing job outline and establishing a project schedule and budget.
- Solicit subcontractors when they are needed.
- Track and schedule equipment and accessories from vendor to the job site.
- Buy out of equipment and subcontractors.
- Compile needed information for field and subcontractor’s work force.
- Set up job budget and schedule of values for each project and process and generate monthly billing.
- Develop and process RFI’s.
- Develop PCO’s and process change orders.
- Manage the change order process (pricing, negotiating with the client, billing and updating the accounting software).
- Review and approve (or reject) invoices for materials, subcontractors, and labor, etc. based upon purchase orders, corporate documents, and agreements.
- Perform collections on outstanding payments related to their projects.
- Complete gain share documentation including submitting initial budgets and final scorecard; grading the foreman appropriately.
- Perform takeoffs and pricing utilizing Quote Express or other computer based software.
- Work up estimates and write proposals.
- Compile pricing and review all costs with supervisor – insert all pricing on Excel spreadsheet for review and pricing calculation.
- Follow up on proposal – review scope of work with customer to ensure all requirements are being met by the proposal.
- Review plans and specifications for all upcoming projects.
- Communicate effectively with the client, our workforce, subcontractors and vendors in order to maintain project harmony to ensure timely project delivery.
- Motivate staff and field personnel to perform at the best.
- Remain current with industry trends and network with peers through local trade organizations by joining and participating in at least one association.
Click here to see a list of our company benefits: