***********THIS JOB REQUIRES PRIOR EXPERIENCE WITH WET UTILITIES PIPE LAYING (NOT PIPE FITTERS)***********
PLEASE NOTE: TCCE hires field construction staff to work at jobs in the region (primarily Maryland, DC, Northern Virginia). This means job locations will change as needed.
Lay pipe for storm or sanitation sewers, drains, and water mains. Perform any combination of the following tasks: grade trenches or culverts, position pipe, or seal joints. In addition to laying pipe, the pipe layer also works with laborers to dig trenches for/around existing utilities.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Install or use instruments such as lasers, grade rods, or transit level.
- Dig trenches for/around existing utilities.
- Assist in aligning pipes during pipeline construction (generally for wet utilities [water/sewer]).
- Grade and level trench bases, using tamping machine and hand tools.
- Check slopes for conformance to requirements, using levels or lasers.
- Connect pipes and seal joints using glue, cement, gaskets and/or flanges.
- Cover pipes with other earth materials / aggregates.
- Other general labor and construction related duties are required.
- Perform other tasks duties, as assigned.
- Must have physical ability to stand strenuous and dangerous work environment. Must be comfortable working in 15ft to 20ft trenches and other confined spaces.
- Possess physical strength dig and perform general labor with laborer crews, including digging by hand.
- Able to communicate effectively with others and work cooperatively in teams (including resolving basic conflicts with or without the assistance of management).
- Handle emergency situations, work pressure and stress.
- Able to solve basic, common-sense problems.
- Able to work with general supervision and use some experience/judgment.
- Must have a flexible schedule (make work irregular or odd hours in outdoor work sites, depending upon project needs or weather), including nights and weekends.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform essential job functions. Reasonable accommodations may be made to qualified individuals with disabilities to enable performance of essential job functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is…
- Required to continuously use vision abilities, including close, distance, color and peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus.
- Regularly required to use hands and fingers to handle, feel or operate objects, tools or controls, and reach with hands and arms; use fine motor coordination and eye-hand coordination to push/pull levers and apply pressure to control; utilize feet to press pedals; sit in static positions for long period of time.
- Frequently required to stand, talk and hear; lift or move up to 50 pounds and occasionally lift or move up to 100 pounds (with or without assistance).
- Occasionally required to walk, sit, climb, balance, stoop, kneel, crouch and crawl.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee…
- Regularly works in outside weather conditions.
- Frequently works near moving mechanical parts; is exposed to vibration, wet or humid conditions, heat, and other forms of inclement weather; and is exposed to loud noise.
- Occasionally works in high, precarious places or in excavations, and is exposed to fumes or particulates, chemicals and electrical energy, as well as machinery.
Total Civil Construction & Engineering, LLC, is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer:
Minorities, Females, Disabled, Veterans are strongly encouraged to apply.
Total Civil Construction is proud to be an E-Verify Employer and Drug-Free Workplace