In this position, the team member will operate all terminal equipment to safely and efficiently receive material from trucks/rail, load/unload cargo from ships and distribute the cargo to the appropriate area as per the operating plan and instructions; Operate as a member of a team, responsible for coordinating information flow between each crew member and location staff/management in the receiving and loading/unloading of cargo.
Core Principles: All employees must demonstrate an ability to adhere and understand the core principles of the company. This team member must be able to provide value and depth to the Core Principles of Host Terminals.
* Our people are our greatest assets
* Their safety is our top priority
* We provide exceptional service
* We believe every relationship is important
* We build on our legacy
* We conduct all business with integrity
* We know today's opportunities are tomorrow's growth
* We are detectives, understanding all activities within our markets
* Operates conveying equipment, dust collectors, ship loader, monitor fire suppression systems and all associated equipment to receive material from trucks/rail and load/unload ships per operating plan and instructions.
* Operates equipment such as diesel or gasoline powered bulldozer, cranes (ships gear), skid steer or heavy pay loaders and excavators to perform any work for which equipment is designed.
* Maintains housekeeping standards as part of fire safety program.
* Responsible for checking equipment for damage or repairs needed and reporting information to Maintenance Supervisor or Terminal Manager.
* Make regular inspections of the transport systems and perform minor maintenance tasks such as adjusting and lubricating equipment, cleaning, washing, testing, replacing filters, hoses, and other minor maintenance as necessary to maximize port systems availability and reliability.
* Performs minor maintenance tasks such as repairing, adjusting and lubricating equipment, gauges, valves, hoses, and etc. as necessary to maximize machine availability/reliability and assist maintenance personnel as required.
* Monitor all pressures, temperature and data points on the HMI to ensure that they are at nominal operating level.
* Complies with all procedures to ensure governmental, state, and company certification standards are met.
* Performs all duties assigned by the Shift Leader and Terminal Manager to make sure port operations continue without interruption.
* Ensure that safe equipment operating conditions are met before and during operation.
* Works closely, as needed, with flaggers when making lifts or rigging equipment or material.
Education, Knowledge, Experience, Skills and Abilities Required:
* HS diploma / GED with experience operating heavy machinery including cranes and excavators
* Ability to respond to issues quickly, safely and effectively in a fast-paced, stressful operating environment
* Valid driver’s license and TWIC or ability to obtain a TWIC required
* Ability to work outside in all types of weather
* Must be available to work varied hours, shifts including days/nights/weekends/holidays as required
* Must meet “fit for duty” requirements upon job offer (pre-employment physical and drug test)
* The employee must meet physical requirements including but not limited to, walking, stooping, kneeling, crouching, crawling, climbing up/down ladders and stairs, negotiating uneven and moving surfaces
* Ability to lift up to 50 pounds and work at protected heights up to 160 feet.
* Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
* Perform work in dusty environment and all types of temperature/weather conditions.