Be part of a growing Employee Owned Company! American Mechanical Services (AMS) is a dynamic organization focused on serving commercial, industrial and institutional property owners and managers through a strategic partnership.
American Mechanical Services facilitates the long-term management of HVACR, and Plumbing systems. We have locations in Denver, Colorado Springs, Dallas, Houston, San Diego, Washington DC/Baltimore, Los Angeles, and Indianapolis. We are a company dedicated to growth of our employees and customer base. This opportunity is located at the Corporate Headquarters in Laurel, MD.
AMS rewards your commitment with great wages, benefits including PTO, major medical, 401-k, and career opportunities. Join our team and enjoy the rewards.
The Corporate Safety Director is responsible for the continuous development of Safety Policies and Procedures, as well as effective implementation of these policies. The Corporate Safety Director is ultimately responsible for having an effective workplace safety program and culture in place. This position directs the resources and activities of the organization to support the Health and Safety programs by providing advice and guidance to company management and senior management. This position has significant influence on the company’s overall performance in the areas of corporate Health and Safety. The primary challenge is to continually maintain an appropriate level of awareness, knowledge and preparedness across the organizations to create a culture that prioritizes effective safety and balances overall associated costs. Provide overall leadership, professional knowledge and expertise in the administration and support of Health and Safety processes for all aspects to include regulatory agency compliance, and human resources development.
General duties include, but are not limited to:
- Develop and provide technical and administrative direction on all Safety and Health policies and programs which bear critical importance to overall corporate objectives, operations and profitability of all locations.
- Oversee and enforce compliance with all regulations pertaining to company operations while maintaining awareness of any amendments and make recommendations for their implementation.
- Develop, implement and manage the overall Safety and Health policies and programs to ensure compliance with current and future legal, regulatory, and corporate requirements, to defend against future liabilities.
- Take effective steps to ensure that the workplace complies with local, federal and state requirements.
- Review internal safety policies and practices to ensure they are current and appropriate; conduct hazard and risk assessments and develop new or, where necessary, make recommendations to senior management to amend safety policies and procedures.
- Create a work environment which reflects a commitment to protecting the health and safety of employees.
- Compile, prepare, and/or verify information including but not limited to:
Safety inspection reports
Accident/first aid reports/injury reports
ESH metrics, measures and statistics
Audit reports (internal and/or external)
Action item tracking
Hazardous communication and documentation
- Administer fleet management activities.
- Position will report to CFO
- Prepare training programs per related regulations
- Provide support and training materials for location Safety Coordinators.
- Work collaboratively with Operations to improve efficiencies and reduce Health and Safety related costs.
- Develop an accident investigation program to prevent recurrence of incidents and to ensure information on incidents is shared adequately across all locations. Revise procedures as appropriate.
- Conduct (or coordinate) on-site reviews and audits of operations for all locations.
- Direct implementation of strategies to effectively resolve Health and Safety issues.
- Actively participate in the scheduling of safety meetings to review safety performance and policies.
- Create and maintain a culture reflective of a commitment to an illness and injury -free workplace.
- Provide regular written reports, as well as other production-related results and updates to of the senior management team periodically to appraise the team of issues or as requested by the team.
- Stay abreast of current and emerging technical and professional aspects of this position.
- Investigate accidents, near-miss incidents, and occupational injuries to determine causes, install preventive measures, and manage return–to-work activities
- Take leadership role in emergency planning. Ensure that adequate evacuation and response arrangements are in place for fire, accident and all other emergency situations.
- Bachelor’s degree preferred in risk management, industrial safety and health, or safety management. Applicable relevant work experience may be considered in lieu of degree with appropriate certifications.
- Thorough knowledge of state & federal safety policies / procedures to ensure compliance.
- Excellent computer skills. Experience with Microsoft applications including Outlook, Excel and WORD.
- Analyzing, and making recommendations on compliance with ESH laws and regulations.
- Experience in use of applicable equipment including accessing websites and applicable software
- Experience composing, compiling, and preparing reports and correspondence.
- The ability to balance multiple tasks, along with strong communication skills is essential.
- Detailed oriented with a tenacious focus on results.
- Valid and clean driver’s license
- Preference given to :
Experience with Safety Management systems:
ASP- Associate Safety Professional
CSP- Certified Safety Professional
CHST-Construction Health & Safety Technician
- Health Plan- Multiple PPO and HMO's Available
- ESOP - Employee Stock Ownership Plan with great vesting schedule
- Dental Plan
- Life Insurance
- Vision Plan
- Short-Term Disability
- Long-Term Disability
- Supplemental Life Insurance
- Dependent Life Insurance
- Blanket Travel Accident
- Accidental Death and Dismemberment (AD&D)
- 401-K Plan Company Match
- PTO (Paid Time Off) for vacation, sick days, and personal business
- Flexible Spending Accounts-Health Care & Dependent Care Reimbursements
- Employee Assistance Plan-Offers resources at no costs for many of life’s issues /concerns
- Legal Services-Limited services at no costs for some legal needs
Note: Listed benefits are brief and general in nature and not complete. Summary Plan Descriptions should be consulted for full details.